Quantcast
Possible Fire Turns Out to Be Steam Release at Rural Iuka Home

Possible Fire Turns Out to Be Steam Release at Rural Iuka Home

Iuka Fire Chief Kenny Eagan says what was originally feared to be smoke coming from a wood burning furnace in an outbuilding Wednesday morning turned out to be steam.

The chief reports the wood burner on the Rick and Phyllis Smith property at 5503 Michael Road northwest of Iuka heats hot water for the home.  A malfunction apparently led to the water getting too hot and for what appeared to be heavy smoke to fill the building.

Eagan says there was no actual fire as a result of the malfunction.  Iuka Firemen with mutual aid from Salem responded to the call around 8:30 Wednesday morning.  Firemen were on the scene for about 30 minutes.