Jefferson Rural Firemen say a mobile home with an attached garage was destroyed by fire early Tuesday afternoon.
The fire was at the Zachery Bradford home at 11,500 East Idlewood between Mt. Vernon and Dix.
Firefighters say heavy fire was showing from both the mobile home and garage upon their arrival. Bradford believes the fire was started by one of several space heaters that were being used in the home. He was outside when he discovered the fire. While the fire was already coming out the front door, Bradford was able to get back inside and throw some items outside to save them from the fire.
Kell and Centralia Fire Protection District Firemen were called for mutual aid assistance.
Jefferson Rural Firemen say the second mobile home fire resulted in only minor damage. Fire officials say Anita Henry of 1115 Park Avenue on the north side of Mt. Vernon was drying clothes Tuesday afternoon above a wood burning stove when some of the clothing items caught fire. The fire spread to a wall and some household items in the kitchen before Henry was able to knock it down. The fire was out upon the fire department’s arrival, but they checked to make sure the fire was totally out.