Archives
  • Yuma County Detention Center(YUMA, Ariz.) -- Police in Arizona thought they were busting an ordinary case of a fraudulent return this week until some digging revealed that the same 23-year-old man has perpetrated the scheme at thousands of Walmart stores across the country.Police in Yuma, Arizona, said they responded to a case of a fraudulent return on Wednesday afternoon in which a person bringing a computer back to Walmart had allegedly removed parts of the computer before putting it back in the box and taking it back to the store.Upon investigation, the Yuma Police Department found that the same man had pulled the same scheme at a different Walmart earlier in the day.Thomas Frudaker, 23, was arrested and booked into Yuma County Adult Detention Facility.Yuma police said Frudaker pulled similar schemes at more than 1,000 Walmart stores across the country over the past 18 months and caused a monetary loss of approximately $1.3 million to Walmart.Frudaker was charged with six felonies, including two counts of theft, two counts of fraudulent schemes and artifices, and two counts of criminal damage.He is due in court on Monday.Frudaker is being held at Yuma County Detention Center on $40,000 bond.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Toronto Police(TORONTO) -- An original print by the famous graffiti artist Banksy was stolen from a Toronto art exhibit over the weekend, with the theft caught on camera.Police said the print, valued at $45,000, was stolen around 5 a.m. Sunday. Security footage of the crime was released on Thursday.In the video, a man enters the exhibit, picks up the print and goes out the door clutching the art piece.Police have not identified any possible suspects at this time.Toronto authorities said the stolen piece, titled Trolley Hunters, shows a group of indigenous people seemingly hunting shopping carts in a grassland.The art exhibit has been touted as the largest collection of Banksy's work ever displayed. It includes around 80 pieces valued at about $35 million and is scheduled to run through July 11, authorities said.
    Read more...
  • Ari Perilstein/Getty Images for Guess(NEW YORK) -- Guess co-founder Paul Marciano has resigned from the company after being accused of sexual misconduct, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing by the company on Tuesday.The company filed an 8-K form with the SEC, a requirement to announce major news to shareholders. The form not only confirmed that Marciano stepped down, but also detailed the allegations against him. The company had announced in February it would be conducting an investigation into multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, including "inappropriate texts and comments, and unwanted advances including kissing and groping."He will leave the company next year, according to the SEC document.The investigation was presented to the company's board on June 7 and 11, and Marciano announced his resignation to the board on Monday.Among those who accused Marciano of improper conduct was supermodel Kate Upton, who told "Good Morning America" in February that she came forward because she "wanted to prevent that from happening to other girls." Upton also reiterated allegations to "GMA" that Marciano fondled her breasts during her first photo shoot for the brand in 2010 when she was 18 and continued to behave inappropriately toward her in professional settings for a few months after.Marciano has denied all the allegations and has not admitted any wrongdoing, saying in a statement after Upton's allegations that they were "preposterous.""I have never been alone with Kate Upton," he said. "I have never touched her inappropriately."Marciano said he would cooperate with the investigation, which the company said on Tuesday "interviewed more than 40 people and reviewed approximately 1.5 million pages of documents, including emails, human resources and legal department files, social media messages, video and audio recordings, photographs, travel itineraries, calendar entries, agreements, invoices and financial records."According to the filing, "many of the allegations could not be corroborated" or no conclusion could be reached because accusers did not want to be interviewed or both sides provided credible evidence. However, the investigation did find evidence of impropriety by Marciano."The investigation found that on certain occasions Mr. Marciano exercised poor judgment in his communications with models and photographers, and in placing himself in situations in which plausible allegations of improper conduct could, and did, arise," the filing says.The filing says Marciano and Guess "entered a nonconfidential settlement" to avoid lawsuits."To avoid the cost of litigation and without admitting liability or fault, the company and Mr. Paul Marciano entered into nonconfidential settlement agreements resolving claims of five individuals arising out of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Mr. Paul Marciano for an aggregate total amount of $500,000," according to the filing.Guess Inc. was founded in 1981 by brothers Paul Marciano, Georges Marciano and Maurice Marciano. The brand's jeans exploded in popularity in the 1980s, and its ads featured big-time supermodels such as Claudia Schiffer and Eva Herzigova.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The organizer of the infamous Fyre Festival, a failed concert in the Bahamas in 2017 that went viral for its lack of success, has been charged with duping customers again.William McFarland, who is still awaiting sentencing for the failed festival, has now been charged by the Southern District of New York with selling tickets that did not exist to marquee sports and music events. McFarland ran the company NYC VIP Access, which advertised tickets to events such as the Met Gala, Burning Man, Coachella, the 2018 Grammy Awards and Super Bowl LII, despite not actually having any tickets to the events, according to the complaint unsealed on Tuesday.McFarland was trying to sell the tickets in March, the same month he pleaded guilty to defrauding investors for the Fyre Festival, prosecutors allege.He has been charged with one count of wire fraud and one count of money laundering. Both carry sentences of up to 20 years in prison."In March of 2018, William McFarland pled guilty to defrauding investors and vendors of the Fyre Festival, but it is apparent that he did not stop there," FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge William Sweeney Jr. said in a statement. "McFarland allegedly went on to sell fraudulent tickets to many grand events, totaling almost $100,000."According to the filing, McFarland tried to cover up his involvement in NYC VIP Access by using a then-employee's email account instead of his own, according to the filing. He tricked at least 15 people into buying the nonexistent tickets.The Fyre Festival garnered national headlines in April 2017 after being advertised as an idyllic getaway to the Bahamas, complete with gourmet food, luxury accommodations and performances by Ja Rule and Blink-182. The event was advertised on social media by Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid and other high-profile social media influencers. Tickets for the event cost thousands of dollars, but when attendees arrived, they found poorly built tents, a lack of food and clean water, and an insufficient number of public toilets.McFarland pleaded guilty in connection to the Fyre Festival fiasco on March 6 to one count of wire fraud after defrauding more than 80 investors out of $24 million, and another count of wire fraud for lying to the company selling tickets, which took over $2 million in losses, according to the Southern District of New York. He faces up to 10 years in prison on those counts.Hulu announced in April that it was producing a documentary series about the Fyre Festival.
    Read more...
  • Jesse Duplantis Ministries/Twitter(NEW ORLEANS) -- A Louisiana-based televangelist swiped back at critics of his recent request for a $54 million jet after he asked his followers to help him replace his 12-year-old private jet.Speaking out for the first time since his comment went viral this week, prosperity gospel preacher Jesse Duplantis said he had "never done anything wrong" and attempted to clear up misconceptions of his ministry, including reports that he currently owns three private jets -- all sanctioned by his followers."There was a misnomer on that one. I said I've had three jets. I don't have three jets," he said in an interview with ABC News' Good Morning America on Wednesday. "Two of them now are in other ministries. I only own one airplane now."Duplantis, noting that he had "never had a scandal" in his 40 years of preaching full time, said he welcomes all of the attention and criticism he's received lately."The reason I'm happy about it is because I haven't done anything wrong, and I haven't raised any money for that plane," Duplantis said. "I just told people this: 'I want y'all to believe with me for this plane.'"Duplantis said his critics, including those who have called him greedy, "don’t know about this," but his church, Jesse Duplantis Ministries, plans to donate its old jet if the congregation chips in for a brand-new one: a Dassault Falcon 7X, which costs about $54 million.It will deliver the old jet to a needy organization when the new one arrives, he said."The one we're flying now -- I've had it for 12 years. It's a phenomenal plane, and it's a blessing," Duplantis said. "But I don't have a fleet of jets. People misunderstand that. I've had three of them though, but two of them are in other people's ministries."Duplantis stirred up controversy this week after video surfaced showing him asking his followers to donate toward his church's new pair of wings."If Jesus Christ was physically on this earth today, he wouldn't be riding a donkey," Duplantis said in a video posted on his website. "He'd be in an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world."Many people took to social media to express outrage over the lofty request, with some calling him manipulative. Duplantis said those people don't understand the amount of hard work that goes with spreading the gospel."I don't think of an airplane as luxurious. I think of an airplane as work," he said. "I'm almost 69 years old. I think I should stay home a little bit, but what's happening is I have so many meetings, and people all over the world are asking me to come.""I preach as much as I can," Duplantis said. "I have to get back and forth constantly all the time, and that's the reason for it."Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...