• Yuma County Detention Center(YUMA, Ariz.) -- Police in Arizona thought they were busting an ordinary case of a fraudulent return this week until some digging revealed that the same 23-year-old man has perpetrated the scheme at thousands of Walmart stores across the country.Police in Yuma, Arizona, said they responded to a case of a fraudulent return on Wednesday afternoon in which a person bringing a computer back to Walmart had allegedly removed parts of the computer before putting it back in the box and taking it back to the store.Upon investigation, the Yuma Police Department found that the same man had pulled the same scheme at a different Walmart earlier in the day.Thomas Frudaker, 23, was arrested and booked into Yuma County Adult Detention Facility.Yuma police said Frudaker pulled similar schemes at more than 1,000 Walmart stores across the country over the past 18 months and caused a monetary loss of approximately $1.3 million to Walmart.Frudaker was charged with six felonies, including two counts of theft, two counts of fraudulent schemes and artifices, and two counts of criminal damage.He is due in court on Monday.Frudaker is being held at Yuma County Detention Center on $40,000 bond.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(NEW YORK) -- From its humble beginning as a small newspaper to what is now a full-fledged sports media company, Barstool Sports is one of the most popular brands for men, but it’s a woman who’s calling the shots.Erika Nardini, the first CEO of Barstool Sports and only the second female employee in the company’s at-times tumultuous history, has taken the controversial site to new heights.“I was the last candidate I think to come along,” she told ABC News’ Rebecca Jarvis in an interview on “Nightline.” “Over 70 were men -- But I think there was something that clicked with me and Barstool.”
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- JetBlue has returned to its full flight schedule to Puerto Rico, nearly nine months after Hurricane Maria, the airline announced Friday.The return to full capacity comes six months ahead of schedule, totaling 48 daily flights between the United States and the Caribbean island, the airline said.JetBlue, which is the island’s largest carrier, hired an additional 50 staffers for San Juan.“Our return to our pre-hurricane flight count is a testament to the incredible resilience of Puerto Rico and our crewmembers who kept flights operating during a very difficult period,” said Dave Clark, JetBlue’s vice president sales and revenue management, said in a statement.The Puerto Rican government says that commercial flights to the island are back to normal daily capacity. The island, which depends greatly on tourism, was devastated after Hurricane Maria made landfall on Sept. 20, 2017.About 15 percent of hotels are still not operating, according to the Puerto Rican Tourism Company.“The fact that JetBlue has been able to match seat capacity levels to pre-hurricane figures six months earlier than expected shows that demand has increased and that we are on track for a historic recovery," said Carla G. Campos, executive director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company. "Likewise, the creation of 50 new jobs as a result of the increase in operations is a testament to the trust and commitment that JetBlue has with Puerto Rico.”There are still 6,224 customers are without power in Puerto Rico, according to the island’s electric power authority. The agency’s new chief told the Associated Press in early June that it would take up to two months to restore power to the entire island.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Toronto Police(TORONTO) -- An original print by the famous graffiti artist Banksy was stolen from a Toronto art exhibit over the weekend, with the theft caught on camera.Police said the print, valued at $45,000, was stolen around 5 a.m. Sunday. Security footage of the crime was released on Thursday.In the video, a man enters the exhibit, picks up the print and goes out the door clutching the art piece.Police have not identified any possible suspects at this time.Toronto authorities said the stolen piece, titled Trolley Hunters, shows a group of indigenous people seemingly hunting shopping carts in a grassland.The art exhibit has been touted as the largest collection of Banksy's work ever displayed. It includes around 80 pieces valued at about $35 million and is scheduled to run through July 11, authorities said.
    Read more...
  • American Greetings(ROCKWALL, Texas) -- When Takeisha Saunders went shopping for a Father's Day card for her husband at a Target store in Rockwall, Texas, she said the only one featuring an African-American couple read "Baby Daddy."Saunders, who is black, told ABC News on Thursday that there were plenty of other cards she found less offensive, but they all featured white couples."There was no other option," said Saunders. "My disappointment was that it was the only card that featured a black couple. There wasn't any other black husband cards or anything like that. There were white husband cards with a couple on the front. There were 'My dad's my hero' cards with characters on the front, but there wasn't anything else." She snapped a photo of the card and posted it on her personal website, a neighborhood group website and her Facebook page, writing, "You CANNOT be serious Target!!! Really!!!? This was the only Father’s Day card that featured a black couple!!!!!"Her posts struck a chord and triggered numerous complaints to Target, which yanked the card from the shelves of about 900 of its 1,800 stores nationwide that had stocked it. "We want all guests to feel welcomed and respected when they shop at Target. We were made aware of some concerns about this card last week and are working with our vendor to have it removed from Target stores," Joshua Thomas, a spokesman for the chain, said in a statement to ABC News. "We appreciate the feedback and apologize. It's never our intent to offend any of our guests with the products we sell."Patrice Molnar, a spokeswoman for American Greetings, which created the card and supplied it Target, told ABC News that the card was sold at about 5,300 drug stores, supermarkets and big-box chains, including Target."In this instance, this particular card was created for, and addressed to, a loving husband —- which the inside copy makes clear," Molnar told ABC News. "However, we now see that the front page, taken out of context, can communicate an unintentional meaning that we are strongly against perpetuating and is not consistent with our company purpose and values. We should do better in the future, and we will."We have notified our store merchandisers to remove the card from all retailer shelves and apologize for any offense we’ve caused," she added. Molnar supplied ABC News with photos of the card, which inside reads, "You're a wonderful husband and father -- and I'm so grateful to have you as my partner, my friend and my baby daddy! Happy Father's Day."Saunders said she followed up her online posts with phone calls to both Target and American Greetings to point out why the card was offensive to her."For me personally, in growing up, a baby daddy or a baby momma was not something that you wanted to be or wanted. It was someone who wasn't involved in the child's life ... I don't see my husband in that way," she said."I didn't go ranting to boycott Target and not buy cards or anything like that," she said. "I was just like, 'Hey, where are the other options?'" Still, she said representatives of both Target and American Greetings took her complaints seriously."And they replied, 'Hey, yeah we can see that. So we missed the mark on this one. We're going to pull it,'" Saunders said.She said she can't accept all the credit for sparking the groundswell of anger that got the attention of two major companies."I think the reason they're removing the card is because there were more people than just me who complained," she said. "A company doesn't make an action like this based on the opinion of just one person. So obviously I'm not the only one who took issue with it."She said she plans to celebrate Father's Day on Sunday with her husband and their toddler, who is almost 2 years old."He'll get a nice present," she said, "but no card yet."
    Read more...
  • Ari Perilstein/Getty Images for Guess(NEW YORK) -- Guess co-founder Paul Marciano has resigned from the company after being accused of sexual misconduct, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing by the company on Tuesday.The company filed an 8-K form with the SEC, a requirement to announce major news to shareholders. The form not only confirmed that Marciano stepped down, but also detailed the allegations against him. The company had announced in February it would be conducting an investigation into multiple allegations of sexual misconduct, including "inappropriate texts and comments, and unwanted advances including kissing and groping."He will leave the company next year, according to the SEC document.The investigation was presented to the company's board on June 7 and 11, and Marciano announced his resignation to the board on Monday.Among those who accused Marciano of improper conduct was supermodel Kate Upton, who told "Good Morning America" in February that she came forward because she "wanted to prevent that from happening to other girls." Upton also reiterated allegations to "GMA" that Marciano fondled her breasts during her first photo shoot for the brand in 2010 when she was 18 and continued to behave inappropriately toward her in professional settings for a few months after.Marciano has denied all the allegations and has not admitted any wrongdoing, saying in a statement after Upton's allegations that they were "preposterous.""I have never been alone with Kate Upton," he said. "I have never touched her inappropriately."Marciano said he would cooperate with the investigation, which the company said on Tuesday "interviewed more than 40 people and reviewed approximately 1.5 million pages of documents, including emails, human resources and legal department files, social media messages, video and audio recordings, photographs, travel itineraries, calendar entries, agreements, invoices and financial records."According to the filing, "many of the allegations could not be corroborated" or no conclusion could be reached because accusers did not want to be interviewed or both sides provided credible evidence. However, the investigation did find evidence of impropriety by Marciano."The investigation found that on certain occasions Mr. Marciano exercised poor judgment in his communications with models and photographers, and in placing himself in situations in which plausible allegations of improper conduct could, and did, arise," the filing says.The filing says Marciano and Guess "entered a nonconfidential settlement" to avoid lawsuits."To avoid the cost of litigation and without admitting liability or fault, the company and Mr. Paul Marciano entered into nonconfidential settlement agreements resolving claims of five individuals arising out of allegations of inappropriate conduct by Mr. Paul Marciano for an aggregate total amount of $500,000," according to the filing.Guess Inc. was founded in 1981 by brothers Paul Marciano, Georges Marciano and Maurice Marciano. The brand's jeans exploded in popularity in the 1980s, and its ads featured big-time supermodels such as Claudia Schiffer and Eva Herzigova.
    Read more...