Archives
  • iStock/Thinkstock(ST. PAUL, Minn.) -- The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has reached a $210 million settlement to be dispersed among 450 survivors of alleged clergy abuse as part of its bankruptcy reorganization, an archbishop said.The archdiocese filed for bankruptcy in 2015, two years after the Minnesota Legislature opened a three-year window that allowed people who said they had been sexually abused in the past to sue for damages, according to official reports. That resulted in hundreds of claims being filed against the archdiocese.“I recognize that the abuse stole so much from you -- our childhood; your safety; your ability to trust; and, in many cases, your faith. Relationships with family and friend relationships in your parishes and communities were harmed. Lives were forever changed. The church let you down. I am very sorry,” Archbishop Bernard Hebda said in a news conference Thursday outside archdiocese offices.In a separate news conference Thursday with some of the people who’ve said they were abused, lawyer Jeff Anderson said a formal reorganization plan will now be submitted to a bankruptcy judge for approval, and then it will be sent to the survivors for a vote. Anderson said he expects them to readily approve it.The money will go into a trust fund to pay survivors, with the amount for each person to be determined, Anderson said.Anderson also noted other achievements of the lawsuit. “As a result of these survivors' courage, there have been 91 clerical offenders in the archdiocese now exposed and listed as credibly accused offenders that had never been listed and exposed before,” Anderson said.This is the second largest settlement involving the Catholic Church in the United States, after a $660 million settlement reached in 2007 by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and 508 people who said they had been abused, according to ABC News Minneapolis affiliate, KTSP-TV.Fifteen Catholic dioceses or archdioceses across the country have filed for bankruptcy, including three in Minnesota, as they sought to protect themselves from growing allegations of sexual abuse by clergy members, according to official reports.A fourth Minnesota diocese, St. Cloud, announced its intention to file in February but hasn't done so. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(NEW YORK) -- More than 300 damaging storm reports were made Thursday from the Rockies into the Midwest, including 11 reported tornadoes. Lots of damage was reported in the Ohio Valley from Louisville, Kentucky, to Cincinnati, Ohio, leaving thousands without power.More storms are expected in the Plains and Midwest on Friday.A new storm system with a cold front will be moving into the Plains and parts of the Midwest on Friday with damaging storms forecast from Bismarck, North Dakota, down to Kansas City, Missouri. Some storms could produce more tornadoes.Also, another area of severe storms could hit from Atlanta to Birmingham, Alabama, on Friday. Damaging winds and hail are the biggest threats, with flash flooding possible.Unfortunately, the cold front that will move through the Midwest will slow down in the mid-Atlantic and bring more rain to already-flooded areas from Virginia to North Carolina.Some areas could see more than 4 inches of rainfall around Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(NATIONAL HARBOR, Md.) -- Karthik Nemmani won the Scripps National Spelling Bee on Thursday night, after correctly spelling the word "koinonia."Koinonia means a Christian fellowship or body of believers, according to Merriam-Webster.The 14-year-old from McKinney, Texas, beat out 516 spellers this year, the highest number of competitors in the bee's decadeslong history.After receiving his trophy onstage, the eighth-grader said he felt "really happy." Karthik added that as soon as he heard the pronouncer say the word "koinonia," he knew he was going to win.Karthik's orthographic prowess won him the competition's $40,000 cash prize and the opportunity to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, in addition to a handful of other prizes.Runner-up Naysa Modi, 12, from Frisco, Texas, was eliminated from the final round after she misspelled the word "bewusstseinslage," meaning a state of consciousness or a feeling devoid of sensory components, according to Merriam-Webster. Naysa tied for seventh place last year, tied for 46th place the year before and tied for 50th place in 2015.The competition this year was cutthroat. The hundreds of precocious spellers, ranging in age from 8 to 15, stepped out from all 50 states. Moreover, a change in how spellers were invited to this year's bee drew hundreds more spellers than in past years.After competing in fierce local rounds, the top spellers convened in National Harbor, Maryland, for the national finals. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(SPRINGFIELD, Mass.) -- Three bodies have been found at a Massachusetts home associated with a kidnapping suspect.The investigation is active and ongoing, according to Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni. The bodies were found in and around the Springfield home, he added.Police have not yet named a suspect in the deaths, citing an active investigation, but confirmed they are suspicious.The home is a property associated with a man named Steward Weldon, who was arrested Sunday after he allegedly drove away from police officers who had tried to stop him for a broken taillight, according to a police report obtained by ABC News.After Weldon was detained, a woman who was a passenger in the car told police that he had been holding her captive, the report states. She claimed Weldon would beat her with a hammer whenever he was angry and had threatened to kill her, according to the report. She also said she believed she had broken bones.“Thank you guys for saving my life; I didn’t think I was ever going to get away,” the woman told officers while getting into an ambulance, according to the report.Upon inspection at Baystate Hospital, the woman was found to have a possible fractured jaw, stab wounds and marks from being hit with a blunt object, the report states.Police have since received information in the past 24 hours that led them to the property, according to Gulluni. The residence is the last known residence of Weldon, according to ABC Boston affiliate WCVB-TV.The search of the property will resume Friday, according to Gulluni.Gulluni confirmed the woman found in Weldon’s car is an acquaintance of Weldon’s, but would not comment on the nature of their relationship. He also said people were living in the home when police arrived to search it.Weldon has been arrested on multiple charges, including carrying a dangerous weapon, resisting arrest and kidnapping. Weldon had three other active warrants for his arrest on traffic violations and a revoked driver’s license, according to WCVB-TV.He is being held on $1 million bail and has pleaded not guilty, MassLive reported.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Dickson County Sheriff's Office(DICKSON, Tenn.) -- As an intense manhunt continues for a suspected cop killer in Tennessee, a community is left mourning the Dickson County sergeant who was shot and killed after 10 years on the job.Sgt. Daniel Baker, who was also a U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, was fatally shot after responding to a call Wednesday morning. He is survived by his wife and daughter.Here is what we know about the officer and the manhunt:A 10-year veteranBaker started working at the Dickson County Sheriff's Office on Feb. 18, 2008, spending more than 10 years on the force, Dickson County Sheriff Jeff Bledsoe said.Baker moved up through the ranks and was "one of our best deputies," Bledsoe told reporters."He's one of the guys that puts it on the line every day to keep our community safe," Bledsoe said. "So many in this community are hurting.""Even though our heart's broken," he added, officers have the "focus and resolve to make sure this person's captured."The deadly shootingAround 7 a.m. Wednesday, when a Dickson County resident reported a suspicious car, Baker responded, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Jason Locke said.After Baker failed to check in, authorities used GPS to track down his car, which was found in a wooded area 2 miles away from the initial call, Locke said.Baker was found dead in his car, Locke said.The manhuntOn Wednesday night, agents arrested Erika Castro-Miles for first-degree murder in connection with Baker's death, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said.But another person of interest in Baker’s death, Steven Wiggins, remains at large, authorities said.Authorities allege Wiggins shot Baker while Castro-Miles sat in the car with Wiggins, according to Castro-Miles' arrest affidavit.Wiggins is believed to be armed and dangerous, authorities said."Anyone that would murder a deputy sheriff protecting our community is a threat to anyone," Bledsoe said at a news conference. "We just ask for your help so we can hold this person responsible."A $12,500 reward has been offered. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...