Another 673 cases and seven more deaths have been attributed to the Coronavirus.
The State Public Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike made the announcement during the Governor’s daily update on the virus. The increase is much worse than any other day and bring the total number of cases to 2,538 and the number of deaths to 26. Clinton County picked up another confirmed case and now has five.
With the rapid rise in cases, Governor JB Pritzker is issuing a strong warning for everyone to do their part to stop spreading the coronavirus and to take the threat seriously.
“I am begging you, please if you don’t have to be out, stay inside, if you go outside, please find a place to go that is not crowded. For the sake of everyone’s health, follow the social distancing guidelines that we talk about every day. Stay six feet apart and don’t gather in groups of ten or more.”
Governor Pritzker says they are concerned that as the weather warms up, people will be gathering for picnics, sports and more.
The seven deaths recorded on Thursday include a man in his 50s, two men and two women in their 60s, a man in his 70s and a woman in her 90s. So far 87-percent of the fatalities are among patients 60 years of age and older.
Marion, Jefferson, Fayette, Clay, Wayne and Effingham County all still are waiting for their first confirmed case. But Ezike says that doesn’t negate the need to follow precautions.
“Even if you happen to live in a county that doesn’t have a case right now, you should absolutely take precautions and follow all of the same guidance as if you knew the virus was circulating in your community because it is. Please take the same precautions and stay at home as much as possible.”
The Marion County Health Department reported 29 have now tested negative and four results pending.