Wise World of Wellen presented by Salem Eye Clinic
1. A “mulligan” became a do-over in golf because of a guy named David Mulligan in Montreal, Quebec, Canada in the 1920s. He hit a bad shot, then he decided to try it over again, so his friends started calling that move a “Mulligan.”
2. “Fancy ketchup” is an actual USDA grade . . . and the highest grade. Ketchups are rated on color, consistency, defects, and flavor.
3. Mr. T’s original set of gold chains came from people who lost them or left them after fights when he worked as a nightclub bouncer.
4. Michael Jackson really wanted to play Spider-Man in a movie, but he knew he’d never get cast . . . so in the ’90s, he actually tried to BUY Marvel Comics to make it happen.
5. No one knows for sure when the fire hydrant was invented . . . because the patent was lost in a fire at the U.S. patent office in 1836.
The end of the year is rapidly approaching! Call the Salem Eye Clinic at 548-3506 to schedule your annual comprehensive eye exam.