The Salem Fire Protection District reports a bird’s nest built in a flue set off a fire in the chimney of a home east of Salem Sunday night.
Firemen were called to the Rusty Courson home at 4923 U.S. 50 east of Radio Tower Road when smoke began filling the basement.
The cause of the smoke was traced to the bird’s nest, which was cleared from the flue.
The smoke was not heavy enough to require ejection.
Because of the narrow driveway, only one fire truck could access the house. The rest remained along US 50 where the Marion County Sheriff’s Department assisted with traffic control. The fire call came in at 8:21 Sunday night.